KAVI Support Forum

Recommended Regimen for Seborrheic Keratosis (SK)

bijay

Hi, I'm a 55 year old female and have had great success using glycolic acid for my face. Over the past few months I have been routinely (almost daily) using a 14% body lotion (another brand) for spots of seborrheic keratosis on my back and torso, with very limited success.

I would like to try using the 50% glycolic acid peel for SK, and wanted to ask if you had any special recommendations for using it for this purpose. Should I also follow the recommended regimen on your website (once per week for 6-8 weeks, followed by 4 weeks off), and also if I should continue using lower concentrations of glycolic acid body lotion between peels. I greatly appreciate any help you can provide! Thanks!

For the treatment of SK, a high-concentration, low-pH preparation of glycolic acid would be required for optimal results. For application on target areas below the neckline, we typically recommend a starting concentration of 40%, however, if your skin is not sensitive to glycolic acid, 50% may be suitable.

Beyond published instructions, there wouldn't be any supplemental guidance for the treatment of SK with glycolic acid. Continuing the use of the 14% body lotion may be ok, though it really depends on that product's pH. If it is lower than 4.0, it may be wise to discontinue its use (at least on days when applying a KAVI glycolic acid mask), as it may lead to irritation and increased sensitivity to weekly peels.