KAVI Support Forum

Question about cystic acne treatment

Guest Taylor

Guest Taylor

I recently found out about your products on the website of a dermatologist, and I'm interested in purchasing, but I thought I'd check to see what products might be a good fit. I have a history of cystic acne that had been under control since October. My regimen during that time consisted of 4% benzoyl peroxide wash am and pm, a combination of tretinoin, clindamycin, and azelaic acid at night, and  generous moisturizing adjusted for weather and overall humidity level. This was working well, and any small spots resolved quickly with an alcohol-based 2% salicylic acid treatment.

Unfortunately, my cystic acne recently flared in mid June with one painful inflamed cyst about the size of a dime/nickel on my cheek, one large pustule, and three smaller papules. So overall, not a large breakout except for the large cyst. I'm not sure why it flared, but I think it might be a combination of switching to benzoyl peroxide wash only once a day and not moisturizing enough. I have received two intra-lesional cortisone injections from my dermatologist and was prescribed bactrim for the first time, which is helping to reduce the pain and swelling, but the cyst hasn't resolved yet.

I was thinking of incorporating sulfur into my routine since I haven't used it much. I would like to continue to use 4% benzoyl peroxide was once a day as well as a combination cream of .017% tretinoin, 4% azelaic acid, and .25% zinc pyrithione at night. Would washing with the aqua kavi in the evening be too much? Also, is there a spot treatment that would help my cyst? I'm also open to other suggestions but am reluctant to completely upend my routine from the get-go. Please let me know what you think when you have a chance, and thank you!

_20170704_154529.JPG

• 8 months later...

First off, please accept our apologies for the delayed response.. we had a technical issue with our forum that prevented us from seeing certain posts. 

When it comes to acne treatment, we often remind our customers that "less is more". Antiseborrheics can easily dry out the skin and lead to a histamine response, inflammation, and more acne. Often, one or two anti-acne products can work far better than a suite of oral and topical medications. 

Following a consultation with your dermatologist, we would advise a regimen free of antibiotics (when used specifically for acne) and comprising nothing more than Coral KAVI (used once or twice daily, based on your skin's response) and KAVI Salicylic Acid 15 used as a spot treatment on cysts like the one in your picture. When used as a spot treatment, KAVI Salicylic Acid 15 should be applied with a cotton swab directly on the lesion once per day for 2-3 days (and it should not be washed off). 

You should begin noticing an improvement in your acne in as early as 48 hours, and no additional moisturization may be required given your reduced use of antiseborrheic medication. Be monitoring your skin regularly for dryness, and if you detect any symptoms (tight skin, redness, flaking, etc.), reduce your Coral KAVI usage to once per day or even once every other day. For your other cleansing times, simply use water or something super mild like Cetaphil. 

Let us know how things go for you!