KAVI Support Forum

Post-menopausal with seborrheic dermatitis, mild acne & sagging/aging skin

SJP

I have been using your Kavi products for several years, but haven't found the right combination of products for my skin.  I am 54 years old and am now trying to remedy a couple of different issues:  

1. long history of oily skin (which is now only sometimes oily because of my age)
  2. mild/moderate acne (blackheads & whiteheads under skin on & around nose)
  3. fairly mild Seborrheic Dermatitis (occasional red itchy welts on cheeks & forehead)
  4. sagging, sun/aging spots, broken capillaries

I have been using Coral Kavi for several years and have liked the results.  I wash with it at night mixed with a little baking soda (to exfoliate).  If I don't use the baking soda, I tend to wake up with a SD welt(s) the next morning.  I am now also using Enhanced Rentinol .30% (all-over face & neck), Complex A (eye area), Hyaluronic Acid 95 (all-over face & neck except nose), Complex C spot apply on "jowls" & ridge of nose between eyes/eyebrows.  Sometimes as a finishing moisturizer (all-over except nose), I use SPF30 (but have felt like it makes me breakout) and sometimes I pat a tiny amount of coconut oil (sometimes seems to work, sometimes too oily).  I have been using this routine morning & night for about 2 1/2 months now.  Also, once a week, I use Salicylic Acid 15 (this seems to really help SD & acne).    Currently, my acne seems to be under control, but I have a couple of SD welts and my skin looks saggy, lack-luster, spotty & just not "healthy".

I have also used the following, in combination with my routine listed above or in a different routine: Glycolic Serum 30 (not sure but I think it irritates my skin), Glycolic Acid 40-50-60 (SD would appear when just using one of these peels as once a week treatment), Salicylic Acid 25 (would clear up SD on cheeks immediately), Vitamin Hydration Serum (seemed irritating at first, but then seemed to work well...although I noticed more blackheads & whiteheads), Advanced Melatonin Repair Serum (tried 1 bottle of this but didn't notice much improvement).

It seems like I can treat the acne/SD or the anti-aging, but not both together.  Any help you can provide would be SO appreciated!

Hi SJP, thank you for the detailed summary of your skin conditions and the results you've observed from various product combinations. It really helps us narrow things down for you. From your description, it seems the Coral KAVI is too strong for you. While it is a great low-impact product for oily skin, we seldom see success with people who are 55+ years of age - the dosage of sulfur in combination with the palm oil base appears to be too drying. Instead of Coral KAVI, try DermaWash S2. It has the same dosage of sulfur but no palm oil. DermaWash S2 should address your challenges with acne bacteria and oily skin without being overbearingly antiseborrheic to your skin. 

For sagging skin, our best products would be Complex C and Hyaluronic Acid 95. The former helps your skin rebuild the collagen-elastin matrix, and the latter helps with cell turgidity. These products may not be strong enough for more advanced cases of premature aging, and you may need to consult with your dermatologist for more invasive solutions if our products are not performing as you would like. 

For age spots, our most effective treatment would be the Advanced Melanin Repair Serum (used once to twice daily) along with weekly glycolic acid peels. If the latter is causing your SD to act up, then it would be best to forgo it. 

For broken capillaries, Complex A would be optimal. If the broken capillaries are somewhere other than the periorbital region, use with caution and observe for any adverse effects. If the capillaries are visually improving and there are no other issues, then you can continue using Complex A to treat broken capillaries on regions of the skin other than around the eyes.

Please let us know if we can provide any further guidance!