KAVI Support Forum

Acne treatments for those over 50

Guest Karen

I had hoped by the time I turned 50 that my acne would be gone, but am still struggling with it! Many acne products are too harsh for my face - and Benzoil Peroxide dries it out horribly - although my face is still quite oily all over. I've tried AHA cleansers and usually end up with a new round of cystic acne - which I don't usually have much of. My biggest problems are everything your acne approach appears to address: blackheads, pores clogged with excess sebum and dead skin that get infected. What regime would you recommend for your older acne patients still struggling with these issues?

Thanks!

When building a balanced anti-acne skin care regimen, a primary consideration for any age group should be to avoid drying out the skin. Besides the facts that dry skin does not necessarily prevent new acne formation and can lead to a rash of new breakouts (e.g., whiteheads), exposure to the elements without the right hydration can accelerate the onset of premature aging.

To treat acne on your skin, we would recommend starting out with the products in the Anti-Acne System III for Oily or Combination Skin:

Coral KAVI - use as a replacement to your existing soap: your skin will benefit from no longer using alkaline cleansers and from Coral KAVI's anti-acne actives (sulfur and salicylic acid).

Salicylic Acid 8 - a mild comedolytic mask to use once per week to break through clogged pores and neutralize acne infections within.

Toner - use once per evening to maintain your pores between weekly peels.

Hyaluronic Acid 95 - use once or twice daily to hydrate your skin.

SPF 30 - use as needed to protect exfoliated skin from the harmful effects of UVA/UVB rays.

It's important to note that concurrent use of any other anti-acne products may result in dry skin. We would recommend you follow the above regimen for two weeks, monitoring your skin regularly and making adjustments as needed. At the end of two weeks, you should have a clear idea whether the regimen is producing positive results or if any changes are required.