KAVI Support Forum

glycolic peel

Guest johanna

A glycolic acid peel will exfoliate dead skin cells and stimulate the synthesis of proteins like collagen that are critical to a healthy rate of new skin cell production. The results from the first month of weekly glycolic acid peels can be attributed to glycolic acid's exfoliating properties. Uneven texture and superficial discoloration from damaged skin cells will be removed, exposing healthy, new skin that will appear radiant and younger-looking in contrast to the layers of cellular debris that were affixed to the skin's surface before.

As the body ages, cellular reproduction slows down, and in some cases, at a faster rate with skin cells. Continued use of glycolic acid will slow the onset of premature aging by helping to maintain a healthy rate of new skin generation. A robust collagen-elastin matrix, for example, will prevent the thinning, sagging, and wrinkling symptoms common to prematurely aging skin.

The frequency of administration will depend on your treatment goals. To maintain consistent texture and clear skin, you need only apply a peel once per week for four weeks, and then once every 4 to 8 weeks thereafter to maintain your skin's appearance. To slow the onset of premature aging, apply a peel once per week for eight weeks, take a two to four week hiatus, and then recommence another 8-week cycle.

The above application schedules are not strict and are provided only as a guideline. You may find that your skin responds better to a modified schedule. Feel free to experiment with different cycles until you find one that suits you best.

Guest johanna

when i use the peel, what's going to happen? will it peel right away? how long is the peeling going to be? will it peel after a couple of days? or as soon as i put it? i will visit my bf who lives far from me in nov. If i start using it next week. will i still be peeling nov? and u also said that it is better to do it once a week. so does that mean that my face will be peeling every week?

The majority of peeling will take place at the time the glycolic acid mask is applied. Cellular debris will continue to slough off for a two to three day period following the peel, however you should not notice any visible flaking on your skin. In the days following removal of the mask, any peeling that resembles what you might experience after a mild sunburn is an indication that the peel strength applied is too strong for your skin type.

Guest johanna

okay thanks you so much! one more thing, after i use the peel is it okay to use the othe beauty products that i am currenty using? such as moisturizer, pore minimizing stuff? they are all organic stuuf and has mushroom extracts. and some with tea tree oil.

Guest johanna

hello! i bought the glycolic peel and started using it. is it okay if I use extra virgin olive oil on my skin? will it help me get better result for the acne scar?

I used the glycolic peel 30% last thursday. This is my daily routine.. please let me know if this is okay. wash face, apply toner with 2%salicylic acid, moisturizer, sunblock, loose powder. Is that okay? and I this morning I also had a microdermabrasion, i just did it myself. you think it's okay? since i already using the glycolic peel?

Applying extra virgin olive oil to the skin will not improve your acne scarring, and we wouldn't recommend the practice for general-purpose moisturization.

The routine you've described (cleanse, tone, moisturize, protect, powder) is a good one to evaluate. If it proves effective for you, stick with it.

On your question about administering microdermabrasion between glycolic acid peels, be sure to not stress your skin. In many cases, "less is more". If you tax your skin with too much treatment, it will react unfavorably. Inflammation, dryness, and a rash of small whiteheads are common symptoms of overtreated skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Glycolic acid will provide improvements to skin texture almost immediately, typically after one to two peels. Improvements to skin tone (e.g., pigmentation variance) may require additional applications, in some cases up to 8 peels or more (applied once per week). Since you are asking about hydroquinone, you may be seeking accelerated results for the latter. While we would have to defer you to your physician on the use of hydroquinone, we would advise you to thoroughly investigate its side effects as a number of reports have been published in recent years citing concerns over the safety of its use as a skin lightening agent.