KAVI Support Forum

Acne scarring and hyperpigmentation

Guest Maressa

Guest Maressa

Hello, I am considering purchasing some gycolic acid. I have bad acne scarring and hyperpigmentation. I have been on Retin-A, and used both Proactiv and Obagi. My skin doesn't even peel on Obagi, (with 1% Retin-A combo). I was going to get the 60% gycolic acid. Based on what I've told you, do you think I need to do 12 weeks on 40 or 50?

KAVI Glycolic Acid 60 is significantly stronger than products from Proactiv and Obagi. However, that doesn’t mean that Glycolic Acid 60 is the right product for you.

All retail preparations of KAVI Glycolic Acid are buffered to a pH of 2.1, allowing them to be safely removed with a cold water rinse. Because of the lower acidity, these peels will exfoliate dead skin cells in smaller clusters without the peeling one may see from a moderate sunburn, for example. If your scarring is <1mm deep, then you may wish to consider Glycolic Acid 40 first for at least 4 weeks before moving on to a higher strength. If your target area is on the body, then Glycolic Acid 50 may be more suitable for initial use, given your prior experience with Retin-A and Obagi.

While buffered KAVI peels are very good for discoloration and surface scarring, you may need to look into a stronger peel with your physician if your scarring is >1mm deep from the surface of your skin.

Unbuffered preparations of KAVI Glycolic Acid are typically considered a surgical procedure and can peel the epidermis completely (exposing the dermis); they are available through your physician only. These peels require a neutralization agent and must be applied by a professional who will oversee both the administration of the peel and your recovery over the ensuing weeks.