KAVI Support Forum

Acne products

Guest Kathy

I need your help deciding which of your products to use. I am desperate for clear skin. I am a 32 year old mother of 3 beautiful girls. I am so tired of having acne. I have always had acne, but it has gotten progressively worse after every child. I have tried everything. I just read about your products for acne in a magazine, and I found your website from searching on google. Please help me. I get all kinds of acne. Lately it's been mostly blackheads, but I also get whiteheads and painful cysts. I also have a hard time not picking at them, so I have scarring on my face as well. I also find that I get recurring acne under the scars where I have picked. I am working so hard to stop picking at my face, but it is hard when I keep getting more acne. I really hope your products can help me.

If you have dry skin, we would recommend Aqua KAVI, and for combination or oily skin, Coral KAVI.

Once you begin use of our products, you should cease use of any other soaps or cleansers. Our soaps are designed as a replacement to existing soap products, and the differences in pH between our soaps and off-the-shelf products can negate much of the positive effects.

In addition to daily cleansing with KAVI soap (Aqua or Coral), you may opt to use a salicylic acid mask (we recommend KAVI Salicylic Acid 8 for home use) to unclog pores, neutralize any existing infections, and exfoliate scar tissue on the surface of the skin. You should follow printed instructions for KAVI Salicylic Acid 8 to the second (leave it on for no more than 20 seconds the first time and rinse with cold water for two minutes afterwards to soothe the skin). It is a very strong peel and will sting (especially if you have lots of acne).

With use of just these two products, you should see a great improvement in your skin within the first week. Improvement will continue at the same rate for the next few months, but as you'll see, it's going to take some time to have blemish-free skin.

• 2 months later...

I would like to order the bar soap but I'm not sure which one to use, Aqua Kavi or Coral Kavi. I'm 48 yrs old and still prone to breakouts but I also don't want to continue drying my skin. I have some scarring on my chest and back and would like to minimize this. I also have on my chest what appears to me to look like small blackheads. Which product(s) would you suggest?

Coral KAVI contains twice as much colloidal sulfur and is excellent for eliminating acne and oil. If your breakouts are few, then Aqua KAVI may be a better choice to avoid overdrying the skin.

Salicylic Acid 8 would be good for exfoliating damaged surface skin (e.g, scar tissue) and unclogging pores (e.g., whiteheads and blackheads). It will also reduce pore diameter to improve skin texture. If our salicylic acid mask dries your skin too much, you should consider moisturizing after peels with Hyaluronic Acid 75 (available under our anti-aging category at http://www.kaviskin.com/product.php?produc...=14&page=1).

I'm 19 and I have a similar problem to Kathy's, minus the children. My skin has always given me grief, and for a long time I used a prescription cream which kept my skin relatively clear. This cream was effective, but very annoying. It would bleach my clothes and bedsheets, it stays thickly on the surface of your skin indefinitely, so you actually have to wash it off later or you'll taste it in your food, etc. (and god forbid my boyfriend kisses me on the cheek...), and it was generally inconvenient. After I started taking birth control, I found that I didn't really need the cream as much, so I stopped it. The only problem that remained, as it has always been, was that I occasionally got one or two of these immense pimples which I guess are the same as the cysts that Kathy described.

Well, now it's a huge problem. I got into this nervous habit of picking at them and even popping them when I feel stressed, which is often being a college student with emotional problems. Over time, the cysts started to surface more frequently, and always in the same places. Now I'm in the midst of the worst breakout that I've ever experienced, and it doesn't seem like it will ever end.

I recently started using that old cream again, and I've managed to resist picking about 90% of the time. But I'm really worried that I've done some kind of irreversible or at least long-term damage to my skin. A few months ago, when the problem wasn't as bad, I purchased your coral soap, glycolic acid 30, and sunscreen. My reason for getting the glycolic over the salicylic acid was that I didn't trust myself using something that strong, particularly when the application process needs to be so precise (a matter of seconds vs. minutes). I used the coral soap regularly for about a week, and the problem actually got worse. I can't be sure if this was due to the soap or some other factor, but in any case, I stopped using the soap after a couple weeks. The glycolic acid also stung a lot more than I expected it to, although I saw some improvement from using it.

So I'm not really sure what to do. I'm incredibly embarrassed to show my face in public, and so I wear makeup every day (which has some salicylic acid in it, actually), I wash my face at least twice daily, and use that same old cream. I know that the salicylic acid would probably be most effective for this type of problem, but given how much the glycolic stings, I don't know if I could tolerate it. Is there anything I can do?

M.

Coral KAVI is the best defense against acne prone skin. Made with a palm oil base, it is completely free of animal by-products (which are terrible for pores) and pH-balancing. It includes 3% salicylic acid for comedolysis (unclogging of pores) and 2% colloidal sulfur for acne reduction.

To improve your acne, try the following steps:

(1) Make a list of everything that comes into contact with your skin (from makeup to the detergent you use to wash your clothes, towels and bedsheets).

(2) Wherever possible, eliminate any unnecessary or unknown substances from the list above (KAVI Laundry Cleanser is pH neutral and may help if your acne is an allergic reaction to your detergent's high pH).

(3) Cleanse with Coral KAVI at least once per day (twice, if your skin does not become too dry). Do not use any other soaps or cleansers.

(4) Exfoliate with KAVI Glycolic 30 either once per week or twice per month.

(5) Apply KAVI SPF 30 daily (it's non-comedogenic, meaning it won't clog your pores).

Stay with this plan for one month and monitor your condition for improvement. Alternatively, you could opt to eliminate steps 4 and 5, using Coral KAVI exclusively until your acne is in remission.

Glycolic acid will help eliminate one of the three components of acne infection (dead skin cells), but will not do much for the other two (excess sebum and acne bacteria). For healing the surface scarring caused by infection, glycolic acid is excellent.

Salicylic acid is more helpful against acne because it will drain infected pores on contact, dissolve oil, kill bacteria, and exfoliate dead skin. The disadvantage of a salicylic peel is that it does have a high contact intensity and will sting more than glycolic acid.

Give Coral KAVI another try, following the steps above, and feel free to keep us updated on your progress.