KAVI Support Forum

The right strength peel

Guest Marla

Guest Marla

Hello, Need help in figuring out which peel to choose. Have been using M.D. Forte glycolic fash wash/cream at 20% for about a year. I have Asian skin and want to target hyperpigmentation. Would I start with 30% or 40%? I don't mind doing the process a few times versus being down for 2 weeks with raw skin. Thanks.

We would recommend you start with KAVI Glycolic 30. Please keep in mind that KAVI Glycolic 30 is a peel and should be used no more frequently than once per week and will feel a lot stronger than a wash.

As our retail peels have been designed for home use, we buffer the pH to 2.1 to reduce the risk of burns. Following exfoliation at a pH of 2.1, skin will safely slough off in flakes over a 24-72 hour period. The skin should never peel in sheaths following use of any of our retail glycolic acid products.

Dermatologists may opt to use KAVI Non-Buffered Glycolic Acid, which is formulated at glycolic acid's naturally-occurring pH of 0.6. Non-buffered glycolic acid peels require professional administration, are more painful, and require a longer recovery period. KAVI Non-Buffered Glycolic Acid is not available for sale to the public.

You can read more about concentrations, pH, and buffers at http://www.kaviskin.com/pages.php?pageid=8.

Our KAVI Glycolic Cleanser, similar to the Forte facial wash, is designed for daily use. Its glycolic acid concentration is at 10% and buffered to a pH of 4.0. It will also exfoliate dead skin cells and promote new skin generation, albeit at a slower rate than KAVI Glycolic 30.