KAVI Support Forum

Multiple Symptoms. Don't know what to use.

treyeflip

I have been using Coral KAVI for about two weeks now. After, years of trying everything, I decided to try this positively reviewed bar of soap. I use only Coral in the mornings, and occasionally at night when I feel that my face is extremely oily. Anyways, for the first week I felt like everything was perfect, and my skin started clearing up. But, now I am getting whiteheads everywhere, my skin feels dry and tight for a few hours after use, and my skin is red and blotchy. I don't want to stop using KAVI, as I feel like it is the best approach I can get. My skin is as follows: I get whiteheads, blackheads, oily nose and forehead, red patches, and overall red appearance (especially neck and cheek areas). Like I said, I am only using the Coral bar. Am I doing something wrong? I also have the Aqua KAVI, but I am unsure of its potency against acne (assuming acne is my most prominent condition).

From your description, it sounds like Coral KAVI is a little too strong for your skin when used daily. Dryness, inflammation, and whiteheads are all symptoms of skin that has been overwhelmed by antiseborrheic treatment. Aqua KAVI contains half as much sulfur, no salicylic acid, and while not primarily indicated for acne, its active ingredient (sulfur) is the same as Coral KAVI's and certainly can be used to treat acne on normal, dry, or sensitive skin. However, it would be best to give your skin a one-week break from any antiseborrheics before recommencing with Aqua KAVI once per day (and up to two times in a day, as needed). In the spring and summer months, the body tends to produce more sebum, and you may find that your skin will be more amenable to Coral KAVI during those months of the year.

Thanks for the reply! So, you are suggesting that I don't use anything for a week, and then start using the aqua bar? I really want to clear up my complexion, acne, and redness. Any other recommendations? Other KAVI products...anything? I am almost in a desperate state of mind with this.

It would be better to wait a week to give your skin an opportunity to recover from Coral KAVI treatment and prevent a compounding effect in the first few days of treatment with Aqua KAVI that could lead you down the same path of dryness and irritation.

Given your reaction to Coral KAVI, it would be better to keep with KAVI's milder anti-acne products in the future. Here are a few to consider:

DermaWash - a milder cleanser than Aqua KAVI but with the same potency

Toner - can be used as a final-stage cleanser once per evening, great for pores

Enhanced Retinol 0.30% - a mild exfoliant and comedolytic that also provides intensive anti-aging therapy (applied once daily on sensitive skin)

Salicylic Acid 8 - a stronger exfoliant and comedolytic than E. Retinol but still gentle enough for sensitive skin (to be applied no more than once per week)

Okay, I will give my skin a week without using any products (hopefully this will be enough for the dryness to reverse itself). Then, I will start washing with Aqua once daily. Typically, what kind of improvements should I see, and after how long? It would be extremely nice to see my skin clear up and be maintained through the use of only one product. Is this possible?

Results vary among skin types, but those with cystic or nodular acne begin seeing significant results within 48 hours. From your initial post, it appears your skin was seeing a similar rate of improvement before it became evident you were using a product that was too strong for you. Papular and pustular acne can benefit from the same rate of improvement, but these lighter forms of acne may take an extra day or two of treatment before results may be observed. The reasons for this are more perceptual, however (because these forms of acne are smaller and often fewer in number, their reduction is not as immediately discernible).

For many, KAVI's anti-acne cleansers will go between 50% to 75% of the distance, requiring individualized adjunctive therapy during the secondary phase of treatment. Treatment options can include

a. additional products like those mentioned above,

b. dietary changes (e.g., avoiding red meat and/or other foods with hormones or other entities that may trigger breakouts), and/or

c. lifestyle changes (e.g., reducing exposure to airborne particles that may clog pores, ensuring all sunblocks, lotions, clothing detergents, etc. are non-comedogenic and with pH less than or equal to 7, and even introducing steam baths into your schedule).

Your dermatologist can provide you with more alternatives as you determine which treatment options are the most effective for you.