KAVI Support Forum

questions about starting KAVI products

aeg

I am 45 years old, female, and normally have slightly oily skin, with some enlarged pores, that is prone to breakouts, though generally nothing too severe, just a few pimples now and then. I have been using a Clarisonic skin care brush for the past few years and that has helped to keep my skin more balanced and clearer than it has ever been. In the past weeks I have been experiencing ongoing breakouts on my face, neck and upper chest. The breakouts on my face are the most severe, some days with new bumps, some hard and painful, appearing every few hours. Even the skin under my eyes, above my upper lip, and just beneath my eyebrows has been affected. Also on my jawline, which I understand from reading some of the other posts here might be caused by overdrying my skin, though I don't know if that's always true of jawline breakouts. The dermatologist I saw prescribed a face wash called PanOxyl-4 BP 4%, as well as topical antibiotics, something called Duac lotion and another called Clindagel, none of which has helped my breakouts, and while I was using the topical lotions, my skin broke out on my neck and chest too, in red spots some of which are little whiteheads and some that are just red and somewhat itchy. Prior to that, the breakout was just on my face (it started on my forehead in a line of angry red spots and spread to my nose and cheeks over a period of days). The dermatologist I saw also wanted me to take a month's worth of oral antibiotics (tetracycline) but I am reluctant to go down that road without trying something less invasive first. My skin has responded well to sulfur products in the past (I used to use a treatment cream by Shiseido that helped to keep my skin clear, but they stopped making it years ago.) I am interested in trying some of your products, but I am not sure where to start and which would be most appropriate for me at this time. At the moment I have abandoned the PanOxyl and the topical antibiotics, as the first was drying out my skin, and the latter seemed to be doing nothing or making things worse. Now I am using a store-bought hyaluronic hydrating cleanser, which at least is making my skin feel less dry, and applying a topical salicylic acid gel at night. If this is not helping it is not, so far, making anything worse. Also, I have not used my Clarisonic brush since the bad breakouts started for fear of aggravating my skin. I would very much appreciate any advice you have about KAVI products for me at this time. For example, the Coral KAVI bar soap sounds great, but I wonder if it will be too drying? My skin can usually tolerate a bit of dryness, but now the weather has changed and my skin all over my body is feeling dry, and I've noticed that even my hair is dry. Is it possible that when some sebaceous glands go crazy, others shut off? Or is that crazy? This is all driving me a little crazy.

Sorry for the long post, and thank you very much for your help in advance.

Based on your post, it does sound like you are at risk of overmedicating your skin and consequently exacerbating your skin conditions. Assuming no other antiseborrheics in your regimen, we would recommend starting with Aqua KAVI, twice per day. Its only active ingredient is 1% colloidal sulfur (analogous to 5% precipitated sulfur), and this may be all you need, given your successful history with sulfur. If you find that you require additional treatment, using KAVI Salicylic Acid 15 as a spot treatment for individual acne lesions can be beneficial. Try to avoid drying out your skin during the course of treatment and preemptively moisturize to avoid irritation and inflammation resulting from dryness.

Thank you for your response. I am just wondering why you say Salicylic Acid 15 to spot treat, and not 8? Also, I am wondering what to moisturize with that won't exacerbate my skin? And, I am sorry to ask so many questions, but I am also wondering about your DermaWash and Toner. What is the difference between using those products and the bar soaps you sell? I intend to make an order today, so just want to be sure. My facial skin is not at all dry at the moment but is oily and continues to break out.

Thanks again for your help.

We would advise using Salicylic Acid 8 to spot treat sensitive skin only. Likewise, we recommended Aqua KAVI instead of DermaWash because (per your post) your skin is not typically sensitive or dry. If your skin is in fact oily, then perhaps Coral KAVI would be a better choice. The Toner is a good product for mild acne, blackheads, and other pore-related conditions where higher dosages of salicylic acid may be too aggressive. For a moisturizer on oily or combination skin, we would recommend KAVI Hyaluronic Acid 95 or KAVI SPF30.

Hello again,

I went for a follow-up to the dermatologist today, and she now thinks that I have pityrosporum folliculitiis whose symptoms look a lot like acne and are caused by overgrowth of yeast on the skin. My skin is itchier today (a symptom I had been attributing to dry, irritated skin, esp. on my neck, chest, and now shoulders). I am just posting this in order to let others who might read it if they have bumps, pimples, etc., that aren't responding to acne medications and are accompanied by slight to moderate itching at the sight of eruption. I still intend to order some KAVI products for my oily skin, once I am through with the treatment I'm on now.

Thank you again.

• 5 months later...

I have acne prone skin on my back, I have been using a drugstore body clearing solution, but it hasn't been working. Would you recommend the coral KAVI soap or the dermawash to use on my back? I also have mild acne on my face, would wither be appropriate for that as well?

Because Coral KAVI is a stronger antiseborrheic, it really depends on how oily your skin tends to be. For oily or combination skin, Coral KAVI would be a better choice. If you are looking for something stronger than DermaWash but less drying than Coral KAVI, have a look at DermaWash S2.