KAVI Support Forum

blackhead problem

Guest Rob

i tried your 8% salicylic acid peel and i still have blackheads. do blackheads ever go away? why are they so hard to get rid of? if salicylic acid peels don't work, what are some other alternatives? clay masks? steaming your face? please enlighten me. thanks

Salicylic acid peels comprise the best type of skin mask for treating blackheads and whiteheads. In addition to exfoliating cellular debris (keratolysis) and opening clogged pores (comedolysis), salicylic acid can also compress pore diameter, reducing the magnitude of future comedone formation. Barring having blackheads extracted individually by a professional, there isn't a better form of treatment.

Chronic blackhead formation, however, requires a closer look at your skin and your environment. Even though salicylic acid may be clearing up pores, the rate of new comedone formation may be setting back its progress.

Blackheads are the product of excess sebum and dead skin buildup. While weekly exfoliation with salicylic acid addresses both of these factors, your skin may need supplementary treatment. Cleansing and moisturizing your skin with non-comedogenic (non-clogging) products are important. If Salicylic Acid 8 is not clearing up stubborn blackheads, you may need a stronger concentration (e.g., 15%).

Finally, you should monitor your environment for other contributing factors. Observe what comes into contact with your skin, such as smoke or other airborne agents, heat, or frequent contact from your hands.