KAVI Support Forum

Severe Teen Acne

Guest CHudson

Guest CHudson

I explored your website and am considering trying out the Anti-Acne System 3 Kit with the 8% salicylic acid for combo skin for my two young teens, 13 & 15. They have developed a bad flare-up since Dec 2015 from prolonged use of minocycline. They have stopped using it since Aug 2009. It's been six months and we're still trying to figure out a safe natural remedy. They have worse acne and scarring now than before they used minocycline. I currently have them on a 5% sulphur soap for a month now and have seen very little or no results, I know it takes time. Please tell me if your acne kit will be safe for young teens to use or your recommendation on any particular product that might help. They have a prescription for Retin-A .025% from a doctor that hasn't been filled yet, would retin-a be enough to treat the acne & scarring, or should I add salicylic/glycolic acid to help with exfoliation??

Results from a sulfur-based cleanser are fairly immediate in most cases (improvement can be observed in as little as 2 days). Our Coral KAVI medicated cleansing bar is twice as potent as the 5% sulfur solution you are using now, however it may be insufficient for your children's acne condition if the 5% is offering you little to no results. For best results, it is important that no other cleansers be used with Coral KAVI: the high pH of over-the-counter cleansers can negate the benefits that a sulfur cleanser provides.

The Anti-Acne System III is safe for teens and would be a good starting point for them, however we would advise you to avoid over-medicating their skin. Too much anti-acne medication can dry and inflame the skin, leading to increased sensitivity and, in some cases, more acne (typically in the form of numerous small whiteheads where skin is the driest and most irritated).

As always, please confer with your dermatologist for any and all medical advice, including the use of KAVI products in your family's skin care regimen.